Monday, January 19, 2009

Holidays 2008

(This post was written late December in Nagaland and posted today in Hyderabad. I haven't been active as usual but Wow blogger has improved and how...love all the features!)

I am home for a month. Like always, each year is unique. Last year it was all about my nephew Aarak, since his brother was just a month old. This year I have the pleasure of being with my second nephew. He is 13 months old and already I can see his personality so different from Aarak, who turned 4 last month. These two boys are such joys to me and I cannot believe I am their second mom! I remember telling my sister to have only one kid because of the fact that she will have her hands full and all the blah about not being able to enjoy her ‘me’ time. I take it back! I cannot imagine life without either of my two nephews. But yeah, she is not having any more babies :)

Things are changing at home - there are more traffic, more shops and more activities around. However, one thing constant in Nagaland is that Christmas is always warm - free open concerts in almost every corner, carols in buses and a star in every house. I even got to see a Whitelion concert (with my older cousins, sister, their husbands and nephew(4) and niece(6) - yeah, imagine). Not that I am a fan but I remember their song "You're all I need" sung by almost every guy in school. So it was pretty awesome to actually listen through the horse's mouth!

I also met some old friends and acquaintances who I was not in touch with and realized how differently I felt; you'd never think at that point of time that you'll grow apart. This actually reminded me of an old literary class lecture about how art or a text does not change, but we do. I have changed, the way I look at life has changed and I guess that is why I don’t feel the same about people who I am not growing up with literally or virtually for that matter.

Travel wise I, "Loren" and her brother/my friend also drove up to Kohima which is almost three hours away. The drive was amazing – I actually felt like a tourist as we crossed through the mountains and streams and the little waterfalls amongst the greenery. See pictures below...we stopped to buy pineapples on the way up and down as well...they were so sweet and juicy!




Now, I am from Dimapur and this town is as plain as any city. So, technically though people gush about the mountains and the weather when I say that I am from Nagaland, I actually do not see the mountains and greenery except when I go toward Kohima and further. Otherwise, Kohima and every other area of Nagaland is all lush and green and all the splendor that comes with it – almost all my friends houses in Kohima are on hill-tops amidst the glory of the mountains and the greenery and to wake up to such a sight in the morning must be like a piece of heaven.

The only overkill factor - BBQ. I am not going to have another BBQ or attend any for the next six months! We had BBQ nights almost every other night - if it was not at Loren's place (pic below), it was at Kohima or at my place and I was always tending to it cause' I was the best tee hee :)

Happy new year everyone - may we always, always make the best of every situation - Cheers!

7 comments:

Prog Power said...

How lucky you are, Penny! A proper visit has eluded me for a painfully long time, but I know I'll see all those "pieces of heaven" myself.. some day.. :D

Happy New Year to you too!

Macabreday said...

OMG......pinch me...!!

The Penny Lane said...

Yep mister - ver soon indeed :)

@maaaaaac - :P

claytonia vices said...

Oh, I thought you are on a self-imposed exile again... happy new year to you too :)

claytonia vices said...

P S: a trip to biryani land is on the cards. :) :)

Nandini Vishwanath said...

So, are you swearing you are not eating pork again :D LOL

Anonymous said...

hey waat,
nice to read ur blog...good to know u had a great vacation, but u missed out on somethng VERY imortant in mumbai and im still kinda mad bout tht...but all will be forgiven if u take me arnd kohima ;) love,
bhakti