Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Cook in Me: Redefining Penny Lane's Love for Pork

We had a lil birthday dinner at our place last week.
A typical Naga-invite includes lots of pork cooked with bamboo shoots, dal, dry fish hot chutney, rice and boiled veggies. It’s funny how 'typical' it had really become; a friend of ours would automatically reply to our Invite:

"Appt. 501 resident: Come over for lunch/dinner?
Friend: Let me guess the menu….pork, dal and rice!"

Well, our dear friend has gone back home and we miss him so much. He was the Rey of our Trove. Henceforth, all the salads that are tossed in Appt. 501 is a tribute to him :)

So this time, subconsciously, I decided to make sure that there should be something to outshine our pork! I love Pork but I also am a great lover of Salads along with this really cute friend of mine (She is 24 but looks not a day older than 18!). She goes Ooh Aah Ayaa to anything that is fresh, Italian (food!) and salad dressings.
My first tryst with salad dressing was Mayo, Mayo, and more Mayo. Then, came Ranch Dressing (thanks to The Dollar Shop!) and Honey Mustard Dressing. Then, I tried Karen Anand’s Italian Dressing which was light and tasted like sultry summer.
For our lil dinner, we mixed Honey Mustard and French dressing. The basil and parsley did magic...It was awesome! Got some good reviews too...well actually, I quote me, "rave reviews" as I recalled to this friend of mine...I was so happy and excited! :P
I even remember my Rocker friend asking me for the recipe. I did scribble the recipe (someone was actually asking me How to Make Something???) that night...but I did no justice... (This reminds me..I have to write it down properly and pass it on... )

Anyways, coming to the ingredients, American Sweet Corn has raided our fridge. Its awesome with any light salad dressing. Also, salami is now relegated Only as an important ingredient to any kind of salad we toss.
I really like croutons but have never got around to making them. To be honest, I was never the one who would Cook...there was always this 'other person' who was better than me. But things have changed...I live with a friend who will get down and dirty and clean every nook and corner of the house but cook! She is just too cute....Well, lets just say that I also Can cook without any help. Its all full-fledged, my-own-style cooking and know what, I actually like it! Hopefully, I will try and make croutons over the weekend and if it tastes like how it should taste, I will post a blog on how I made them (not how to make em!).

I suddenly rem'ber Yan with his 1000watt smile-sans-eyes from Yan can Cook and his slogan "If Yan can cook, so can you!"

Penny Lane can cook too!

Lemme ask Jeeves!

Where is Jeeves???

I have to read up on my Jeeves.

:)

10 comments:

Macabreday said...

ahh..one of ur best posts :) loved the way u wrote it...!!
and really... do u actually get all these ingredients in india now? wow.. i never knew.. he he :) and i love croutons...infact thats what i raid from the salad bar everytime... crutons with lots of mayo :)

The Penny Lane said...

YES WE DO GET ALL THESE IN INDIA
hee hee
Thanks to food world and Q Mart!

ahem btw cut down on ur mayo ok...try the french/italian dressings...its easier on the er body :P

Prog Power said...

Ayaaaaaaaaaaale!!!! Killer Salad Lady.. You've even declared you didn't do justice to the 'passing-on-the-recipe' part..

A Bowl Of Justice Plz!

The Penny Lane said...

ok ok I ll pass it soon! Well the thing is when i say "justice", its relative: u need DETAILED instructions! lol

ps:I hope u still like me..hee hee

Everyman said...

I used to love watchin "Yan Can Cook".. It used to be aired durin my school days..sadly, i didnt quite managed to get inspired by him :) My arsenal is limited to the bachelor's bare necessities - rice, tea, noodles, omlette, and yes, sausages:)

The Penny Lane said...

@Everyman
You know these days Man Can Cook is really in demand :)

Try it.. :P

Everyman said...

Trust me, where i am right now, there's no point being in demand!! :-(

Macabreday said...

@everyman....
didnt u get the hint...u never know when it comes in handy....dosent matter if its not in demand now..!

The Penny Lane said...

Yeah oku knows best! :)

Everyman said...

@both of you - okie okie..i will learn to cook!!